This weekend I've tried to stay low-key since I don't want this new cold or the old cold to go exploding all over me. Not happy about having this cold especially with my aunt sick in the hospital and I really need to not take time off from work for a while. We are just way too short staffed and by me being out, they are constantly reorganizing the schedule. Not fair to people getting off desk time. My mom and I must have huge billboards for germs to say come visit us, we are great hosts. Ugh!
Yesterday my aunt seemed more upbeat. She ate her entire breakfast- oatmeal, pancakes or french toast and some juice and coffee. She didn't do as well on lunch or dinner last night. She did keep the angel food cake. She had some problems with the runs so they are going to test her stool samples for C.Diff to see if that is the cause of the diahria and the nausea and unable to eat.
Today wasn't such a great day for her at least to start. She was only up for eating her oatmeal. She couldn't deal with the smell of the lunch. She also still had the runs. They finally gave her something after I left this afternoon. That seemed to help so she was up eating her dinner tonight. She had a 1/2 of a turkey sandwich and pudding. Not alot but it's something. She said she felt better tonight. It's like a roller coaster with her. Unfortunately she was telling me when I was there how she's just giving up. The tests will all come back saying nothing is wrong with her. I said, there has to be something wrong for you to get this way. They will continue to test until they find the cause.
I ended up talking to the doctor as I was leaving. The fluid that was taken was from her pleura and was pink and had a high concentration of white blood cells. A sign of infection but the rest of the results won't be back until Monday so they don't want to do anything until they get the first set of tests back. They also want to see if the fluid came back again. There are many reasons for the fluid building up. Some easy to fix and then to find the cause of the leak but some reasons... not so good. I've got a bad feeling about this but I'm not sharing it with my aunt. I also need to see more of the results myself to make a call. Yes, I am not a doctor but I am usually spot on once I read the chart and do some research. Afterall I am a librarian and have been taught how to research. I just don't like writing up the results. I'd prefer to tell them. But of course, my job is writing.
On a brighter note, her sinuses are better. They gave her a clariten and miracles of miracles the sinuses no longer bother her. So they are able to eliminate some of the problems. Yeah the sinuses will come back but they can give her another clariten at the time. Her body seems to like it so that's better than it freaking out on her. They did give her a dose of antibiotics due to the possible infection but they are holding off now since she does have the diahria. If it's C.Diff she will need a different antibiotic as well as probiotics like yogurt to get those good bacterias back in her belly. Hopefully the bad bacterias didn't cause too much damage. I've done my reading and know both positive and negative outcomes. Mayo Clinic does have a great website for diseases and conditions.
So hopefully tomorrow she will be on an upswing and not a downswing.
On another note, another choir member has unofficially died. Jonetta is supposed to have passed over on Saturday morning. Her roommate called my friend and she called me. The church has not received any official word from any undertaker or other family members to discuss the funeral. They come from all over the US. It will be strange not having her around. She's been slowly deteriorating over the past 5 years. She has really put up a great fight with melanoma but it spread everywhere. She was given the last rights on Friday when a priest from the church came to see her. She was pretty much out of it then. Maybe she was waiting for the last rights. Dying people sometimes hold on for strange reasons. My grandmother held on until I saw her and then she passed during that night. She waited for me to say good bye because she knows I couldn't say good bye to my dad because I was too young to be at the hospital back then. Jonetta had a tough life but she was very devoted to God especially when she became Catholic. She loved Pope John Paul II and Blessed Mother Teresa. When Pope John Paul II died, it was then she started to really go down hill. She also was a Korean War or Vietnam War Veteran. I do think it was Vietnam but I will find out when the death notice is posted. I don't know if she will receive a military burial or just a regular old person burial. I hope the funeral is Saturday because I really can't take time off from work due to my aunt. It does all seem to happen at the same time, doesn't it.
Well that is the update for today.
1 comment:
Part of yours and your mom's health issues is because you are so stressed... That does affect your body's chances to fight off sickness.
I am glad your aunt seems to be doing a little better. Hoping and praying for continued healing. May God's will be done in this matter.
SO sorry to hear of your friends passing.
Post a Comment