Here is a picture of my dad (and my mom and me) at my first birthday party.
My dad died in 1977 from Colon Cancer that had spread everywhere. Lesson to be learned... don't dismiss bleeding you aren't supposed to have. Also, to have your routine cancer screenings whether they be a colonoscopy or a mammogram or even a simple blood test to make sure your blood counts are in the proper range.
He was a great guy and I learned a lot from him about the diversity of people and how to embrace that diversity and learn as much as you can about other people. My dad was the youngest surviving son and therefore wasn't going to inherit any family farms. He did study to be a priest but for health reasons he did not finish his studies. He always was a very spiritual man. I could see him as a deacon if he did live longer. He came to the US in the 1960s and met my mom and they married and had my brother and me. Since the picture is my first birthday, my brother isn't in that picture. He was born 17 months later. I will have to find a picture with all of us in it someday to scan.
I do miss my dad and wonder what life would have been like during my life if he didn't die so young. But it was his time and I am grateful for the little time I was able to have him in my life. In addition, to teaching me about diversity, he taught me my first prayers, a little Irish, some basic math (even in preschool) and how to ride a bike. Oh how I do remember that day. :)

2 comments:
If this was on facebook, I would push the like button. This is a very nice story about a seemingly lovely man.
Thanks for sharing the story about your Dad. Love the pic :)
Post a Comment